Monday, May 20, 2013

Oh Brother Part 2

I wrote the previous post about my twin brother because I am at a crossroads with him.

The first weekend in May I arrived at my parent's home with my 2 children. My brother lives with my parents and he was there with his youngest daughter. This was a previously arranged visit between my parents and me. I knew my parents were not going to be there since they were coming home from Las Vegas that day. We also had family here from out of town and there was a party planned for my nephew (my brother's stepson) the next day. My niece did not know my kids and I were coming and was very excited to see my kids. They are all within the same age range and don't see each other often.

Within 5 minutes of being at my parents house, my brother exploded at me in anger. Not only did he explode at me, but he did it in front of the kids are are 12, 10 and 9. What led up to his explosion is not important because no matter what I did or said could never justify that response.

Matthew 18:15 If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over.

I have always been taught that this verse is referring to our brothers and sisters in Christ. It's not to say that this verse cannot be applied to how we should interact with non-believers as well.

Matthew 18:21-22 If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. Jesus answered, I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

Again, I think this is more about our Christian brothers and sisters, but the same principle can be applied to non-believers. The problem is, applying these principles is easier said then done with both believers and non-believers.

As I stated in my previous post, I believe my brother is bi-polar. He does not know I believe this and with is violent tendencies, I choose to just "turn the other cheek".

Matthew 5:39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

I have toyed with the idea of just cutting him out of my life completely. The problem with that is it affects everyone else in the family as well. He lives with my parents and of course he is going to be at family functions. If I decide not to be at family events that he will be at, that puts the rest of the family in an awkward position.

I guess things will just remain status quo for now between my brother and me. We don't speak to each other anyway. I will continue to pray for him, but it is something I have to let go and let God handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment