Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Where do I start?

Tomorrow, it will be 4 weeks since I was let go from a company that I worked at for over 6.5 years. I have never been let go before. I always left jobs on my terms. It was a surreal experience that I never want to go through again. The reality is I can't guarantee it won't happen again. No one can.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord , thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

They called it "workforce reduction". When the smoke cleared, the truth emerged. Someone elses position within the company had been eliminated. Management wanted to keep her more than me so they let me go to make a job for her. That stung. I poured my heart and soul in to my job like many of us do. But maybe, that was the problem.

It's funny how it seems like it has been longer than 4 weeks. It seems like a lifetime already. Oddly as it sounds, I am at peace with it. I had been actively looking for a new job. It was a long commute and the benefits were not much to write home about. Now I have more time to look for a job. Also, I am exploring other options that had only been a fleeting thoughts before.

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

A little about myself - I am a 40 year old single mom to a 12 year old son and my daughter will turn 10 in May. We live in the suburbs of Chicago. Within the last 5 years I have been through bankruptcy and foreclosure and now - unemployment.

Now that I am home, once the kids are off to school, I take a walk and listen to podcasts. I have been listening to Greg Laurie as he is doing a series on prayer. It's hard to put into words how this series is affecting and encouraging me. It is causing me to take my prayer life to a whole new level. It's the tough times that bring us closer to God. I know that if I were to win the lotto, I would praise God and continue to live my life for Jesus. But the bad times are what I need to grow as a Christian. I am learning that I need to pray for God's will - not my will.

I have had a strong desire to work from home that increases every day. This has been a desire of mine for a long time. As my son is coming into his teenage years, I know I need to be home more to watch over him and know what is going on. What I don't know is if this is God's will. I am surrounding my job searches around potential work from home jobs (there are legitimate work from home jobs). I believe that the desire would not get stronger each day if it were not from God, but I am a skeptic at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment